Friday, September 25, 2026
Rune Glifberg #9.
The dawn of Emerica.
This is the first formal Emerica ad from 30 years ago. It looks like they moved the whole Etnies squad over to the new brand. Etnies was then put on the back burner until the later 1990s since they were also focusing on the all-star team at éS. There are a few long forgotten names on the list. The team didn't stay this big for long as many of the riders left for other shoe companies like Axion, DC, Globe, Osiris, and Vans.
I didn't really have much going on this week. I skateboarded some, but I think I'm worn out and need a bit of a break. Hope everybody has a good weekend.
Thrasher - July 1996 Volume 16 Number 7

3 comments:
Rune is a brand ambassador for luxury footwear brand Golden Goose these days.
Recognise all the names there except Marcelle Johnson - is that a joke to do with Marc Johnson? I'd imagine most American readers would know Luke McKirdy (and I was very surprised to see his name there but obviously Etnies management had strong UK links). He was very very good. From Brighton I think. Don't think he ever went pro. If he was linked to any UK company if would've been Flip rather than Blueprint. He might've at least been on flow from Flip.
Marcelle Johnson is a real person. He rode for Z and possibly EVOL, the after H-Street company. Definitely a more obscure skater.
I thought that Luke might have been British. I'm not sure if I remember him.
Post a Comment