Wednesday, November 22, 2023

P.J. Ladd #4.





Pulp Reality.

This was probably P.J.'s first bit of major coverage. Notice that he's riding Tensors in the top ad. I wonder if he sent in any videos for the A-Team's trick contest?

I was a tad surprised not much of P.J.'s Element days were online. It's interesting to note that Element teased the Coliseum video in the third ad, which was also his last ad for them. It makes me think the video was intended to be released using the 411 media empire before he split for Flip. It's also worth noting he had the first two ads of 2002 for Element, which makes me think they had bigger plans for him. I guess we'll never know how that alternate timeline would have turned out.

I think it's probably better P.J. Ladd's Wonderful, Horrible, Life was released as more or less an independent shop video than for his part to be added to a Flip video. The success of the Coliseum video also helped launch the careers of Alexis Sablone, Jereme Rogers, and Ryan Gallant so that's another bonus of it being an indie flick.

With my production minutia musings out of the way, P.J. delivered an amazing debut part. I gave it a fresh viewing the other day. I didn't remember that he jumped down some bigger gaps and handrails. I think of him as more of a technical line skater. I really like his assorted shifty flip tricks.

As an added bonus, here is Pat Canale's review of the video:


Have a good holiday weekend!

Learn: Transworld - November 2000 Volume 18 Number 11

Ollie: Thrasher - January 2002 Volume 22 Number 1

Tailslider: Thrasher - February 2002 Volume 22 Number 2

Review: Big Brother - September 2002 Issue 68

2 comments:

nonickname said...

Happy Turkey-NFL extravaganza to the all! And please avoid the Peace Bridge today!!

nonickname said...

hmmm...was starting to type "to all the US Vert readers" then got distracted by a co-worker...and ended up with that garbled message. Anyways Happy Thanksgiving and hope everyone can hit a sale or two.