Friday, October 9, 2020

Jake Johnson #6.




"I’d say misunderstood genius, if it’s one of those. Yeah, I was with Greg Hunt yesterday and Jake had been texting him and was joking with Greg ‘cause he’s working on the Vans video and Jake said, “What’s that? I haven’t heard about it.” And Greg believed him. But he was just messing with him. So I don’t know. He’s really smart and he’s crazy talented at just about everything. I don’t know if people know that, but yeah, they have to." - Gilbert Crockett

I think this bit about Jake bugging Greg over Propeller is what sparked my motivation to do a week of Gravis. Or rather it was the motivation to do a Jake post, which turned into another week about a defunct footwear brand. The guy has got one of the sicker backside kickflips in the biz.

It's funny, I've never seen Propeller. There's a fair amount of bigger name skateboard vids from over the years that I've never seen either. There's only so many hours in the day so stuff is going to end up unseen.

For the quote: Thrasher - May 2015 Volume 36 Number 5

Backside tail: The Skateboard Mag - April 2011 Issue 85

Backside flip: The Skateboard Mag - May 2012 Issue 98

1 comment:

Justin said...

Subliminal coincidence. Jonathan Mehring talks about Jake for Slam City. I almost used that switch wallride ad for this feature, but then went with something else.

https://blog.slamcity.com/lightbox-jake-johnson-by-jonathan-mehring/