Friday, October 2, 2020

Thom Lessner.



Buckeye artistry.

I dig the Chaz McGee deck and the Andrew W.K. painting. It's like a small time capsule of where we were at for 2002.

Random Odds & Ends

I'm slowly piecing together the next few weeks. I'm leaning towards early 2000s stuff and have to make sense of all the notes I've made for myself recently. I dug up some old catalogs from that era for variety, too. There might even be a rare Gino Iannucci photo that I don't recall seeing anywhere before. With that being said, it will be a week of Gravis starting on Monday.

I sort of haven't been into skateboarding lately. I always go through a slump in September. I think it is mainly due to the change of season, even though summer has been hanging on around here. There has been rain, but I've been lucky enough for it to be dry after work. My goal is to skate at least 300 times this year. I'm at 242 with 90 days left.

I actually watched a skateboard video last week. The Grains Preservation Society DVD has been a favorite since I got it last summer. It's nice to see small town Midwestern skateboarding.

The Chrome Ball Incident has a cool interview with Joey Bast where we learn about his vert skills.

Sound Zone: I've been listening to Future Child by Mi'ens a whole bunch this week. The band's name is pronounced Mittens. They are a guitar and drum duo from Vancouver that play a type of noisy space rock, somewhat along the lines of No Age, Sonic Youth, and Trans Am. There's a mild Krautrock influence, too. MJ Guider has a new album out of dreamy and hazy shoegaze. I've been relaxing to the long-form synthesizer wanderings of X.Y.R.'s latest record, Pilgrimage. As an update to the last one of these, I bought a bunch more music from the Yellow Swans to add to my collection. I'm maybe going to take a little break from them for now. Maybe.

The photos and article are by Patrick O'Dell.

Thrasher - July 2002 Volume 22 Number 7

2 comments:

Henry said...

I was more fascinated by Drake Jones' cleanliness. "It's Sunday, time to clean the toilet!"

Justin said...

That part was awesome. I was rushing to get a bunch done at work and I couldn't think of what else to say.