Friday, December 18, 2020

Anthony "Ragdoll" Scalamere.




Ragdoll is from Las Vegas, Nevada. He acquired the nickname from a friend and with an assist from Chad Muska. John Lucero turned him pro for the Black Label after he split with Zero. He had a unique approach to skateboarding that doesn't seem out of place for what is going on today. Ragdoll chucked his carcass down some big handrails and ledges, as well as launching a few king sized street grabs into traffic. He was also surprisingly technical and not afraid to do some stupid tricks, including his famous running jump down a set of stairs to landing on his board at the bottom. His favorite skaters for 2003 included James Atkin, Lance Mountain Jr., Alex Olson, Dustin Dollin, Tony Trujillo, and Jason Dill, minus The Osbournes situation. He liked skating in Vans slip-ons, too.

I was surprised some of these guys haven't made it to the internet as yet. I feel this era of Black Label has a decent underground following and the Blackout video was well received when it was released in 2003. I'm glad I finally pieced this feature together since I'd been thinking about it for a long time. It all started randomly when the song for Ragdoll's part got stuck in my head and I was lucky enough to quickly figure out the tune since I hadn't watched the video in ages. For the record, the song was "I'm Stranded" by The Saints.

For the info: Transworld - May 2003 Volume 21 Number 5

50-50: Thrasher - April 2002 Volume 22 Number 4

Nosegrind: Thrasher - September 2002 Volume 22 Number 9

No comments: