Thursday, September 28, 2023

Shiloh Greathouse #3.



For better or worse, boredom often leads to creativity in skateboarding. It's why regulars at a skatepark come up with unusual tricks that only exist at the local park. After skating the crap out of the benches and tables at various LA schoolyards, Daewon Song and company started moving the furniture all over the place to do the same tricks on different setups.

What size wheels are people riding? I was 56 mm for the longest time and dropped down to 55 for a while. I had been using 54s due to plague related supply chain issues. They were OK new and with fresh bearings. I'm back on 55s, but I'm not sure if I still like that size. Ollies feel somehow odd, but the extra speed is nice for parks. I'm contemplating giving 56s another go round or I might stick with 55s.

The photograph is by Seu Trinh.

Transworld - July 2000 Volume 18 Number 7

2 comments:

nonickname said...

They were 54s...but have had them a while so probably down near 52s now and I could tell I needed an extra push here and there last time out so am due for some new ones. I have some Spitfire classics in 55 I bought a while back but am a little wary of how I'll react to the change.

Justin said...

The change is weirder than it should be. Taller wheels are wider so that makes slides a tad different. The whole difference in ollie pop really threw me off. It didn't used to be this way. I remember it taking a little bit to get used to new wheels, but not like this.

I maybe also need new bearings to get the full benefit of 55s.

Since 54s go fast and colder weather is theoretically approaching, I might use that set for the winter. I'm going to keep the 55s for this board and evaluate the situation when I put together a new one.