Monday, October 30, 2023

Monster Trucks.





Scary monsters, super creeps.

Monster was started in the fall of 2000. It was a truck brand from Giant Distribution, the home of Element, 411, Destructo, and more. Jamie Thomas was the primary force behind the trucks. The team also included Brian Anderson, Heath Kirchart, and Alex "Trainwreck" Gall. The general artistic direction for the company was dark and spooky, which makes sense, but I'm not sure how well it worked. The look reads as kind of campy in retrospect. I never had a set of Monsters and I don't recall seeing a pair in the wild. I imagine they sold at least a little because of how popular Jamie was at the time. Monster only lasted a couple of years and the riders dispersed to other truck brands soon after.

Note: These things were a mix of blacks and grays on pages that had a little warping from being in the basement. Hence, the scans aren't perfect.

Afraid: Transworld - October 2000 Volume 18 Number 10

List: Transworld - March 2001 Volume 19 Number 3

Trucks: Transworld - December 2001 Volume 19 Number 12

1 comment:

Justin said...

Whenever I think I'm out of ideas for Halloween, I somehow manage to find something different for the holiday.

Also these aren't the first three ads. The top ad is the very first. There were ads with skating in-between, but I thought these all paired together nicely to illustrate Monster.