Monday, February 1, 2021

Joel Meinholz #3.



The Mindbender hops down a big set of stairs. He's wearing the first Mike Carroll pro model from Lakai.



My most liked thing about skateboarding in 2020 was the reissue of the original Carroll model. Lakai made an updated version for today's standards. This was one of my favorite shoes back in the day so I was glad to see them return. They were fairly faithful to the original as far as I can recall. The soles were a little thick at first, but wore out on the fast side, which surprised me. The ollie area took a beating and you would get the same frayed cord laces as back in 2002. (I'm regular footed so you can't see all the wear in the photo.) I'm on my second pair and I'm doing things to make them last. I put a couple little pieces of black electrical tape over the toe spot that gets damaged from ollies. I also started putting a very small square of tape over the top eyelet to preserve the lace. That's the only spot where the shoelace gets worn away. I got the black and white ones so the tape blends in perfectly. I'm happy to be skating in Lakais again. I've been wearing Sheffields and Manchesters a bunch over the years as chilling shoes, but this is the first time in ages I've skated their shoes. I don't know why this matters so much, but it does.

The photo is by Mike O'Meally.

Transworld - September 2002 Volume 20 Number 9

No comments: