Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Andrew Reynolds #13.



"Jump ramps and psycho skate. That must have been the 80s - colorful pictures from magazines and Pushead drawings. I didn't really know anybody, I just knew people looked cool and different and they were flying off jump ramps and I thought that was cool. I used to get my mom to rent Future Primitive from the video store, and they also had Speed Freaks and I'd rent those two. I liked Tommy Guerrero. I thought he was cool because he skated street and he was fast. In Speed Freaks there were so many random people in the video that I don't remember. I didn't have a real board then, I just started to learn how to skate."

The Boss talks about his roots.

Yes, Speed Freaks was an unwieldly hodgepodge of pros, ams, and dudes you had never heard of, but as a reference tool, it is now extremely valuable.

I listened to the Blank Generation album by Richard Hell & The Voidoids last week. You could hear the influence it had on Jim Greco and how it impacted what they would for Baker.

For the quote: Transworld - January 2021 Volume 30 Number 1

Transworld - July 1997 Volume 15 Number 7

No comments: