Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tom Groholski #3.



What did you say about street skating in another interview that caused controversy?

I just said that it was imitation vertical because a lot of the tricks people are doing seem to be dorked vertical tricks. Don't get me wrong, there's some rad stuff, but I'd much rather skate vertical. It's more of a rush to skate vert. With vertical comes speed. I mean, as soon as you drop into the ramp you're going nearly as fast as if you were shooting a hill. Not to mention, after you blast an air. There's no way in the world you can beat that. Street skating is fun when you're bored with vert.

Are you saying that's the only time people should do it?

Well, that's the only time I feel like doing it. I don't ever go, "Yeah, let's go session this curb."

Geoff Graham was the photographer.

The quote is from an interview with Glen Friedman: Thrasher - September 1989 Volume 9 Number 9

Thrasher - December 1990 Volume 10 Number 12

4 comments:

Jason said...

Tom did rad pogos. Monty Nolder and Craig Johnson had sick ones too. Tom was an early lip trick innovator. I think was the first to do hurricanes. Maybe...

chip said...

I seem to remember some recent footage of felpz saying Tom Groholski was the first to do a crail. Anyway Isn't this his NewBrunswick ramp??? I wonder what the original address was - tha address should be a NJ skate memorial site for sure!

Justin said...

It looks like Tom's ramp to me. In my first Groholski post, the caption says it is at his ramp. The houses are the same in both photos.

Old School Sammy said...

That's Tom's ramp at home in NJ. If you never got to skate Cherry Hill with Tom, you were really missing out---style and speed for miles, as well as a really good guy.