Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Tom Boyle # 5.



Big ramp, big wheels.

Unit was a truck company in the late 1990s out of Syndrome Distribution. The team included Jerry Fowler, Barker Barrett, Jason Maxwell, Jimmy Chadwick, and a couple others. Syndrome was formerly AZA Distribution before changing name and focus around about 2000. They launched the board lines of DNA and Status to go with FKD Bearings. Syndrome currently handles Stereo, Boulevard Skateboards, Silver Trucks, FKD Bearings, and Lurkville. Former pros Rob Mertz and Jason Maxwell work for the company. Rob is the president and Jason is the team manger.

Unit is still going today, but only as a maker of skate tools. I have one in my car. I got tired of people at the skatepark always asking if I had a wrench and then not having one so I pieced together a second full set of tools to keep in my ride. I've got 3/16" and 9/16" crescent wrenches, a screwdriver, duct tape, a squeegee, and the aforementioned skate tool.

The photo is by Adam Wallacavage.

Big Brother - January 1998 Issue 32

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. Good skate tool is key. I still have my original schmitt fix stix.

Justin said...

Thanks.

I've got an Elephant wrench that I still use, but it stays at home. It was a Christmas present from 1989 and is wrapped in duct tape to hold it together. I have long since switched to the 9/16" crescent wrench for adjusting truck tightness. You get more leverage and it's easier.