Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Jake Johnson #5.



Colored triangles and robot insects.

Jake was the new am on the Alien Workshop who made his debut in Mind Field. His part has come to be recognized as one of the highlights of the video. He does a lot of raw East Coast street skating in New York City. There are switch wall rides, 50-50s, and all sorts of other madness. I had to watch it a few times to understand it because the song does the section no favors. I'm not big on the Animal Collective as a whole, but My Girls has never worked for me, mainly because I find the vocals annoying. I think it probably would have been better if the music was either gritty NYC hip hop or art rock. Although I suppose either of those options would have left the part as being somewhat clichéd in terms of music.

The Skateboard Mag - September 2009 Issue 66

2 comments:

Nonickname said...

Jake, Tyler and Grant T, all current pros as the ams...what a stacked team. Not too many teams/vids could lay claim to something like that this many years later.

Justin said...

Totally. They got everybody to have a full part, too. None of that shared part/one trick BS.

I didn't realize Dylan was pro already for Mind Field. He also had his odd dress shoe pro model for this video, which I thought came after.