Friday, December 9, 2022

Erik Ellington #5.



"It was a lot of Jamie Thomas having to do with . . . I'm kind of lazy by nature, and it kind of takes a lot of - well, nowadays I'm not so bad anymore, but at the time I was kind of carefree as far as work ethic. It started like I was a mule who had to be drug up a hill and the tricks were at the top of the hill. I think that's how he kind of phrased it. I think he and Jim Greco were definitely behind that one."

The Mule drags a switch kickflip out to tailslide down a handrail.

I landed a couple backside 50-50s on a ledge at the skatepark yesterday. I've had the worst mental block on that trick at the park the last two years so it was rad to finally do them again. I used to have them on any of the ledges there without much hassle, but not lately. I can get backside 50-50s no problem on the boxes I have at home. That's how it goes, I guess.

Congrats to Tyshawn Jones for winning a second SOTY from Thrasher. He put on a display of elevated skateboarding at the end of the year that really decimated everybody’s minds. How is it possible to pop tricks that high? Shine on, King.

For the quote: Thrasher - October 2005 Volume 25 Number 10

Skateboarder - February 2003 Volume 12 Number 6

2 comments:

Valentin said...

Hey Justin. Congrats for getting the backside 50-50. I always prefer frontside ones and can totally relate to your mental block. Backside is always frightening me, but more exiting if you can get over it and ride away from a good one...

Justin said...

Thanks. Frontside 50-50s are one of those tricks that are easy for me and I take them for granted or neglect them. I try to get a good one where I grind longer and go faster. Backside 50-50s feel way better. I think I was thinking too much about doing the trick. If that makes any sense. I skated a bunch on Saturday and spent all of Sunday doing housework and crap so I'm completely exhausted right now and work is being confusing.