Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Tim O'Connor #6.




"When I first turned pro you didn't have to do crap, but that's probably when I skated more than ever. I skated nonstop like a maniac, but I just wasn't filming. I didn't film ever. At all. It wasn't necessary. It wasn't until I met Brian Wenning and Anthony Pappalardo when they were filming for the Alien Workshop video, and I was still on Element at that time, and every day they went out filming. I was like, 'Holy crap! You guys are crazy!' That was all new to me. That was a new generation coming in at that point where filming just happened all the time. You filmed basically everything you did. I would be trying a trick down LOVE and not even filming it. I was like, 'Okay I guess I gotta film stuff now.' I don't think I ever even fully tried to film a full video, but I think this year that stuff's going to happen. Got to put out the magnum opus before I die in the skateboard world."

Tim speaks about the changing attitudes on filming skateboarding in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I think it is handy to be able to document skateboarding with technology very easily in the modern world. I also think it adds to the unfinishable queue of content we are living with. And that maybe isn't the greatest thing ever.

It's also kind of interesting that Tim never had much in the way of interviews during his pro career. He would write articles and whatnot, but he never sat down for a more formal Q & A session.

For the quote: The Skateboard Mag - September 2006 Issue 66

Hydrant hop: Transworld - December 1999 Volume 17 Number 12

Crooks: Transworld - July 2000 Volume 18 Number 7

No comments: