Thursday, March 21, 2013

Shawn Martin #2.



"I first met Shawn about three years ago, I think. It took place out in front of Concrete Jungle Skateshop and Orb introduced us. He was surprised that Shawn and I hadn't already met, seeing how we both were riding for the Concrete Jungle team. We then talked, and after that we went skating.

Shawn had just moved to San Francisco from Eugene, Oregon and didn't know many people. He was #@!*ing bad ass. He could do flippity wipp tricks three years ago, and he was the first person I ever saw do an ollie backside grab. He was also the first person I knew of who could do nose-grinds - he called them novacanes. He'd go up like he was going to do a regular slappy front truck lapover, and he'd scrape his rail like a Smith grind, then come off revert. I also saw him doing nose-grinds on Stewart's ramp and coming off of it without hanging up.

Shawn skates like himself and has since I met him. Wherever I've gone with him, he has juiced it, and ripped. He can ride anything, which qualifies him as a real skater in my book. Take him to a vert ramp and watch him learn tricks out of nowhere. Shawn and I are into the same kinds of stuff - skating fast, hanging out, and getting down to some blitzkrieg speedpit action. We just saw Suicidal Tendencies the other night and it was awesome. Muir got us both in for free."

- Noah Peacock

That was Shawn Martin's Check Out from 1991. He rode for Lucero and then Black Label, Independent, and Spitfire. He did turn pro for the Label.

Luke Ogden was the photographer.

For the Check Out: Transworld - May 1991 Volume 9 Number 5

Thrasher - July 1990 Volume 10 Number 7

No comments: