Monday, March 11, 2013

Steve Alba #3.



The Dot hits the big 4-0.

Since Santa Cruz is turning 40 this year, I figured I'd take a quick look back at the company. I originally intended to have a few different scans from over the years including from when I first started skateboarding to some of the mid 90s to a couple more recent ads. However when I started looking through the mags, I decided to go with some classics from 1989-90. I also kept it strictly Santa Cruz, no wheel ads or other companies they distributed.

Santa Cruz Skateboards was started in 1973 by Richard Novak, Doug Haut, and Jay Shuirman. They originally were making stuff for surfers, but soon started making skateboards and have been so ever since. The pro team has included Steve Alba, Steve Olson, Duane Peters, Rob Roskopp, Eric Dressen, Tom Knox, Jason Jessee, Ray Meyer, Jeff Grosso, Tim Brauch, Brian Childers, Richard Kirby, and many, many more.

Salba turned 50 this year and he just keeps going. It's a little weird seeing a photo of Steve on a regular vert ramp and not in a pool, but he was hitting up a lot of ramps around this time.

Transworld - December 1989 Volume 7 Number 8

No comments: