Monday, June 2, 2014

Simon Evans.



July 28, 1996 3:04 P.M.

Just got in - spent all morning walking around with my skateboard trying to find good-looking spots. The reason for such a practical skate was the fact that I spoke to Tobin Yelland at 11:00 AM. He talked to me about doing some pictures for Transworld. Scary! I mean, I thought photo sessions were for stainless-steel pros - guys with legs like hairy trees, loads of cash in their pockets, a board dispenser in their bathroom, more shoes in the closet than Imelda Marcos. Guys who can slide twenty stair handrails in flip-flops - 360 flip on a dime. They all hang out together, throw pro parties every Friday night, and talk about the business. Me, well, I'm pro. My name is Simon - I have a board with my name on it, I swear. I've seen it in FTC. There are holes in my shoes the size of outer space, my board is so sharp you can shave with it. I guess I know some pros, I mean, I've seen them. They say hello sometimes, and I get nervous. Money? Well, I don't have any. I can't 360 flip and haven't done a handrail since 1992. I wonder what we'll take pictures of.

*

This feels much more relevant today than it did back in 1996.

It also appears that this hasn't been on the internet yet.

Simon has moved into the world of fine arts. He had a recent exhibit reviewed in Artforum and you'll see ads for his work in the magazines.

Paul "Skin" Phillips took the photo of Simon's busted shoe.

Transworld - December 1996 Volume 14 Number 12

No comments: