Monday, December 4, 2017

Julien Stranger #21.



"My first concert ever was Black Flag, that had to be one of the best, too. When I was a little kid I used to go to lots of shows, 'cause my mom was some punk rock girl/lady/mom. It wasn't like she was going to leave me at home every Friday and Saturday, so she would take me to shows. It was like 1980, '81, '82, it was a thriving scene here [SF]. You could go out to this place, Temple Beautiful, and see five to ten bands for like four bucks. I was like this little punk munchkin kid. I would just run around, all these punker chicks would be grabbing me. The Temple Beautiful had this big padded staircase, 'cause it was a real Jewish synagogue, but they would rent it out on weekends. Anyway, I would just dive down the stairs, that was my big thrill. I used to stand at the top of the stairs with my back facing the stairway, I'd tell some passing-by punker to act like he would shoot me, then I'd just fall back on my head and tumble down the stairs. It seemed like you couldn't even get hurt when you were a little kid."

It's safe to say Julien had a more interesting childhood than a whole lot of other people. I really like the design of the old SMA ads. They brought in some different styles that stood out from what other companies were doing. I'm also curious about that milk board. Was that a sticker? It looks very ahead of the time for 1990.

For the quote: Transworld - March 1992 Volume 10 Number 3

Thrasher - August 1990 Volume 10 Number 8

2 comments:

Johnny said...

The milk graphic was actually (as you correctly surmised) a sticker. The could be peeled off of corner store windows (late at night) intact & with their “adhesive matrix” still in place. I used to hunt them down to emulate Julien & other guys I looked up to. Another favorite free, jumbo sticker was the “Honey Bucket” sign off of a certain brand of porta-potty. I recall covering the underside of many a deck that way. Great for obscuring embarassing graphics from a brand you may have been ashamed to ride, as well. I guess spray paint would have worked fine too, but Julien was rocking milk carton stickers from Berkeley Farms dairy, and hence, so was I.

Justin said...

Thanks for the insight. That's rad. I didn't think anybody was really doing full bleed graphics like that back then. I'd ride a deck with that graphic for sure.