Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Sal Barbier & Baird Bergenthal.



Double shot.

A-1 was a wheel company supported by Tracker. They had a solid team that featured Matt Hensley, Kris Markovich, Bo Ikeda, Laban Pheidias, and many more. I rode a bunch of their wheels because of Matt. I've still got a shirt of their meat cleaver logo.

Was Baird on Blockhead? I thought he was on H-Street, but I watched Hokus Pokus last night and he probably wasn't in it. I may have gotten him confused with Ray Simmons, who was in the video. It looks like he might be building custom bicycles these days.

The photos are by Joe "Xeno" Llyod and Christian Kline.

Transworld - January 1990 Volume 8 Number 1

6 comments:

nonickname said...

Looking at the ad on my phone I thought "a girl sticker? that timeline doesn't make sense". But Baird was just ahead of the curve with the "guy" sticker.

Anonymous said...

Ya, what is up with that sticker?

Justin said...

Dude Skateboards?

In looking at Baird's board, there's no way that's an H-Street deck. The nose is too funky for them.

Baird said...

Just found this. It's a blockhead board. The "sticker" is a plastic placard I stole off a bathroom door. I never rode for H street. I was on Blockhead at the time, then they went under and I "retired."

Justin said...

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I didn't think you were on H-Street.

Anonymous said...

Baird and I had mutual friends and I skated with him a few times during late 80's.
He was on Vision since 1987 till 89 and He was in vision street wear ads. Baird was adept at street plants, especially Ho Ho plants back in 1986. He was the first skater that I've ever seen kickflip into a manual on flat ground. Back then it was just a wheelie. He could do those shuffle tricks on curbs just like the H street skaters were known for. And he was a regular at scooter's ramp and every skate spot in the OC. He was a nice guy too. During that era up until 91 or 92, most street skaters still used rails. I quit using rails when the everslick boards were introduced and I haven't used them since. Now I'm a skater looking at 50? The same sets of people that mocked us like the jocks and the cools kids are wearing vans and Thrasher gear. We had a low stock of girls that would even date us. Now all types of hot girls where vans and date skaters now.
Have times changed?