Monday, February 19, 2018

Mirko Mangum.



Kite Flier.

Venture ran a lot of ads with tightly cropped photos of bluntslides on curbs and ledges over the years. Mirko rode for Planet Earth.

How cold is too cold to skateboard? I used to have set temperatures where I wouldn't bother, but I think the cutoff has gotten lower over the last few years. I'm talking optimal conditions with bright sunshine and no wind. Even if it is a little colder, wearing dark clothing when the sun is out warms you up, kind of like a reverse of Alex Olson's all white outfits to beat the NYC heat. Obviously, it has to be dry, too. As of late, I go by what it feels like outside more than any specific number. I've got a theory that humidity and barometric pressure might be as much of an influence on things as the temperature, but I've never bothered to investigate that in depth.

Thrasher - September 1993 Volume 13 Number 9

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked his part

Anonymous said...

Skated a few weeks ago in 28 degree temperature. The wind chill brought it down to 14 degrees. Our bushing were frozen stiff. I’m 33 years old and I feel like when I want to skate, nothing will stop me.

Justin said...

That's hardcore. I hate wind, even when it is warm out. It was 29 this past Saturday morning when I cruised around the park for a bit. There was no wind so it felt good. That's why I asked the question.

Frozen bushings suck. I remember one night a couple years ago when they left the lights on until December at the park. I was trying a switch pop shove-it and I couldn't land a good one at all. I quickly realized it was because of the cold and that my bushings were not feeling the weather so I was done for the night.