Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ode To VHS.





"My copy is disguised as Thrasher video #7. No one has ever asked to watch or borrow it, and buddy, no one ever will."

The funny thing is that I would probably be the one person to ask about watching Thrasher video #7.

A lot of the Slap content in the 1990s and early 2000s was rendered moot by the invention of video streaming services on the internet. Still there's something cool about waxing nostalgic about old skateboard videos that you couldn't see unless you had a copy at the time.

I'm not thrilled with how this look back at Slap has turned out. It was too much to undertake for such a short amount of content. Slap was in print for about fifteen years so condensing it down to nine posts wasn't a great idea. I also searched for stuff so haphazardly that I did myself no favors. That's why when I put together scans I keep each week to a rather specific and narrow time frame. I'll remember that next time. It sort of put a crimp in my plans to revisit other magazines that are now out of print. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Mark C. Miyamoto wrote the Video Days article and Richard H. Hart wrote the Penny Files.

Hello Teenage America - Slap May 1999 Volume 8 Number 5

The Penny Files - Slap November 2000 Volume 9 Number 11

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love ur blog and bummed I don't comment on every post for fear you'll stop. Hope others feel the same. Good stuff

Justin said...

Thanks.

stephen said...

Me too man