Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Micro Ledge.



I built this thing at the start of the new year for the sake of having something different to skateboard on. I keep it at my parents so I had to make it small for storage purposes and in case my dad had to move it by himself. It was also sort of a prototype on the chance I end up building more stuff in the future. All in all, it turned pretty good. My one gripe is that the ledge isn't long enough so grinds are not fun. It's perfect for nose and tail slides.



I made the design very simple to reduce the work since I hadn't built anything in ages. The ledge is 2' x 4' and about 6" high. I used 2x6s for the frame because I wanted something that was as high as a curb. I've tried out this design for ledges before and it makes for a very solid box while eliminating the task of cutting a bunch of legs for support. With a couple metal brackets you can stack the frames up to build a ledge as high as you want.



The big box hardware store sold precut angle iron in 4' lengths so that was handy. I attached the angle iron with liquid nail caulking and it seems stuck on there real good. I went with the 2" size. It takes a fair amount of wax to get broken in so you want to be careful on those first few grinds.

The store also had plywood and masonite in 2' x 4' sheets. This is the first time I've ever gotten fancy with having masonite on the top of a ledge and I'm glad I did. The bottom ply is 1/4" plywood. I wanted to position the screws to minimize the chance of nicking up my wheels and I'm not sure I got them in the right spots, although there haven't been any real problems.



Feel free to copy this design if you are looking to build a simple ledge. I'd highly recommend making it longer than 4' if you have the space. It will add a little measuring to the cutting, but it will be worth it in the end. The ledge would be sick if it was 8' long because it's low enough for slappy tricks and also gives you the option to try ollies into different moves. Remember to measure twice, cut once, wear safety glasses, and ask an adult for help if you aren't familiar with power tools.

No comments: