Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Jake Phelps #2.



Product Patrolling.

I thought it would be interesting to see what Jake had to say about some of the decks of 1992. The Duane Pitre Olives is one of my favorite graphics ever so that made scanning this page an easy choice. Of note is that all the boards are 32" or longer. In a year or three, most decks would drop down to 31" or so and slim down considerably. In retrospect, I'm not sure how much this qualifies as progress. Ditching some of width makes sense to save weight and generally increase functionality, but the decrease in length doesn't help much. I had noticed from the CCS catalog scans that boards were a bit shorter than I remember in the early to mid 1990s. Of course, I wasn't as fussy about board size back then either.

Thrasher - April 1992 Volume 12 Number 4

2 comments:

Nonickname said...

Jake seems almost lucid here, with good points and little ridiculous slang thrown around. A far cry from today's "phelper".

Justin said...

I think he benefited from good editing and adult supervision. The Jake Phelps #1 post on here is an older Product Patrol and he writes even more.