Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Justin Figueroa #2.



"Mario Rubalcaba was pro for Alva and has spent the last 30 years killing it on the drums. He's always in seven or eight bands at the same time. I don't even know them all. The most famous one that everyone knows is probably Earthless. I think his whole direction with music and skating is incredible. It definitely got me stoked to push doing music on the side. He grew up around Vista, skating spots around here that I know. He was killing it in both worlds. It's rad because now I've been on trips with him. I've gotten to skate with him and go to some of the gnarlier shows he's played. He's another one of those dudes - he's all terrain. He can play all of it: the long improv jams, slow reggae shit if you wanted it, punk, GG Allin style. He can play all of that shit. He's beyond diverse as a drummer. It's hard to cover all of it. Everyone has a certain style, but Mario can attack in all genres. You're not going to last forever skating; I've gotten hurt so much. That's where music comes in. My dad has always played guitar, but I've picked it up way more over the years. Life after skating will definitely be about music. I don't know if it'll make you rich, but it's fun as hell."

It's always cool when Mario's name pops up. I wasn't expecting him to get mentioned in Figgy's article about his influences, but there he was.

For the quote: Thrasher - August 2018 Volume 39 Number 8

Thrasher - November 2015 Volume 36 Number 11

No comments: