Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Jim Greco #3.



The White Wall.

Jim recently released another short film of his skateboarding called The White Wall. It's an LA centric part with a ridiculous backside 360 ollie on a very tight white wall. Jim also cracks a few big ollies and battles the wind trying to get tricks in a parking lot. I can relate to the problems with wind, as it is often breezy around here and it is not fun to deal with.

Two things I've never liked about Vans is how their shoes are constructed and how mid the graphic design looks in the ads. It's great how much they give back to skateboarding on so many levels, but nothing much they do appeals to me beyond the humanitarian efforts. Also everybody wears them. That's not a slight or anything, simply an observation. I saw my friend's band play at a bar two weeks ago. The crowd was mostly college students and nearly everyone was wearing Vans of one type or another. There were maybe a couple pairs of New Balance and I'm sure somebody had Nikes on, but it was Vans all the way. Except for me. I was wearing some Lakais.

Giovanni Reda hammered down the photo.

Thrasher - October 2005 Volume 25 Number 10

5 comments:

JCM said...

Thanks for the mention of The White Wall. Despite watching his previous thingy youtube hadn't suggested that one to me and I was unaware of it.

Justin said...

You're welcome. I'd never watched his other parts because they were on the long side. White Wall is shorter. There's a brief interview in Thrasher with him. I think the part debuted on their website, but I'd imagine it's on other YouTube channels. It's super good.

Nonickname said...

I love my half cabs and Rowleys...but once they're broken in...they don't last. By the time you get them dialed in either the sole is worn through or the uppers are toast. So now as an old guy who doesn't care as much anymore I skate maranas and have some older Tiagos lined up.

Justin said...

Half Cabs look great in a lot of the photos, but the shoes don't look so hot to me in real life. My friend was wearing a lot of Vans because their shoes can be vegan friendly, but was bummed they wear out so fast. After I explained that you are expecting a flimsy shoe to last, he got the idea. He's been wearing Etnies, too. They have some vegan kicks.

I had a pair of Gilbert IIs (I think it was the II). They were so peculiar looking that I never wore them outside and donated them after a month.

Nonickname said...

I had a pair of the first Crocketts (had the Alien Workshop eye on the tongue)...they had, the new at the time, insoles and the sole felt oddly hard and thin. Wore them a few times and traded them to my buddy for him paying for a nice Thai lunch!