Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Daewon Song #10.


Epic Pole Jam.

This was one of the final tricks in Daewon's part from Skate More, the DVS video from 2005. I remember being amazed by the skinny rock to fakie when the magazine came out. It's a relatively basic move done on a completely unstable obstacle, which makes it relatable yet seem utterly impossible. I imagine I saw the video after the mag came out due to the turnaround time on ordering Skate More. I don't think it lessened the impact of the trick, unlike when a shoe company drops the footage for a cover in a 14 second standalone commercial for an issue that technically shouldn't be out for another two months. There's no sense of wonder any more. Enough grousing about how everything is awful these days, let's get back to Daewon. He refined his schoolyard techniques and took his talents to assorted ditches, banks, loading docks, flatbed trailers, and whatever other out of the way spots he could find. To be exact, he hit up the well known spots of the day, too. In the end, the result was some very creative skateboarding and one of the most important video parts of the last 25 years.

Anthony Acosta took the photo.

The Skateboard Mag - August 2005 Issue 17

1 comment:

Justin said...

There was possibly an alternate version of this cover that I found on a questionable Instagram account. It might have been a working proof that escaped into the world somehow. Most of the cover blurbs are the same, only in different spots. It's shot from head-on so you can see Daewon's board graphics. There are two angles of the trick in Skate More so having a couple different photos could definitely exist. I think this is the better angle. It kind of sucks how much of the Skateboard Mag has been erased from existence.