Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bonnie & Blaize Blouin.



The Blouins were from Charleston, South Carolina.

Bonnie wrote a column for Thrasher called Skater's Edge. It was pretty cool and dealt with a bunch of issues related to skateboarding. She committed suicide in the early '90s. There was a letter asking about her column in last month's Thrasher.

Blaize won the 1988 NSA Am Finals for vert and turned pro for G & S soon after. He started Subliminal in the mid 1990s. He was killed in a car accident ten years ago.

This was a two page spread in Thrasher. I doubt it was intentional, but makes for a nice coincidence.

Thrasher - March 1989 Volume 9 Number 3

5 comments:

Unknown said...

💚💛❤

RoseCityRonin said...

I was fortunate enough to get to skate with Blaize, once. He was a great guy and powerful skater. What a terrible tragedy that we lost him and Bonnie. 😪

Darrin said...

I got to skate quite a few times with Blaize and Bonnie at his moms house and the old torn down skate park on hwy 17 in Charleston. I was always in awe watching him skate and slam his boards around when he got pissed. Shame they arent still around

Anonymous said...

I shared with Bonnie many times at the Browntown ramp in Richmond and at the famous Albert Hill bank also in Richmond. She was the best and a champion for us younger guys just trying to get a run. Blaize was larger than life and might as well have been a God. Loved watching him shred The Crest.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading bonnie's skater's edge in thrasher. I knew of blaize and thought they were skate royalty. I wish I had tried to contact them when I visited family in Charleston SC in 1989. Back then I thought they were celebrities and there was no real mechanism to initiate contact...