Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mark Heintzman #3.



Mark won the 1988 NSA Amateur Street Finals and turned pro for Gordan & Smith after that. He is from Fairborn, Ohio. G & S dominated the amateur contests that year with Blaize Blouin winning vert as well.

Here's a question and answer session with Thrasher:

What?
I'd like to see different things at streetstyle contests other than quarter pipes. Maybe schoolyard, bank or curb contests.

When?
I started skating in August, 1981. Mike Hill was a big influence, he lived up the street. The Jay Adams issue of Thrasher was also influential.

Where?
I want to finish high school first, then go pro. Skating will probably die down soon and it will be make or break for the lame companies.

Why?
I skate because I like to. It's fun. Some people skate because it's there, they're just going through the motions.

How?
Don't mess around in contests. Do tricks you feel comfortable with and can make.

Faves?
Schoolyards with normal everyday situations. Mike Hill, Rob Dyrdek, Eric Dressen, Mark Gonzales. The Columbus, Ohio NSA Central Regionals. Led Zep, Cream, Deep Purple, the Buzzcocks and everything else.

Quote?
I don't like loud clothes. I really don't like people who dress in skate clothes when they don't even own a skate. As a matter of fact, some of my friends don't know I skate."

The photo is by Randy Janson.

For the quotes: Thrasher - March 1989 Volume 9 Number 3

Poweredge - July 1989 Volume 2 Number 6

No comments: