Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Ron Chatman #5.



"I never got bummed on skateboarding even after all the hassles I had. If I can't make a trick or something, I never get mad, because I realize it isn't the board, it's me, and I can always skate tomorrow as long as I'm not hurt."

Ron takes a back lip over the hip. I like how in the era of pressure flips and weird low to the ground tricks, guys like Ron and Jeremy Klein were pushing the more timeless tricks on bigger and higher obstacles.

For the quote: Transworld - March 1993 Volume 11 Number 3

Transworld - January 1993 Volume 11 Number 1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that quote from his TWS interview? You mention he and Jeremy doing things big, and in that spread, he did a huge heelflip over the hip at Lockwood, and I think the caption even mentioned the trick being popped and caught.

--Rikku Markka

Anonymous said...

Yes, the quote is from his TWS interview. I thought Chromeball had the whole things scanned in, but not. I'll check the mag tonight on the heel flip.

Justin

Justin said...

The caption was "Backside heelflip at Los Feliz. Notice the height at which the board is back on Ron's feet."

It was a sequence of a heelflip. It looks like Ron's back toe might have dragged a little, but it is hard to tell from the angle. He caught it as high as 43mm wheels will allow you to pop.