Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Kerry Getz #3.



Alphaville.

Kerry's section in Skate More is probably one of my favorite video parts ever. Everything about it fits together perfectly. Kerry isn't messing around with his tricks and everything is caught clean. Kerry had been on Toy Machine and etnies before switching to Habitat and DVS at the turn of the century. These days he is running Nocturnal, his skate shop in Philadelphia, and skateboarding when he can.

I had intended to use ads from a variety of companies for the skaters in Skate More, but I wound up using a few more from DVS than I planned. I limited my search to magazines from 2005 only and picked out what looked the best in most cases. One benefit of using more DVS ads is that you get to see a sampling of the shoes from ten years ago. I'm not going to fully say things were better, but I'd be much more into a slightly beefy cupsole than the thousand and one variations of a crappy boat shoe that are plaguing the industry today. Our feet were more protected a decade ago.

Giovanni Reda photographed the sequence.

Thrasher - January 2005 Volume 25 Number 1

No comments: