Friday, August 11, 2017

Mike Rusczyk #4.



Trendspotter Acrobat.

You never really associate the idea of caught clean with a no-comply kickflip, but it does happen. Retired Foundation pro Mike Rusczyk was way ahead of modern skateboarding in the way back when. My 43s are still mostly good, but my no-comply game has dropped off as of late. I can get the perfect pop over the curb, but I usually can't make myself jump back on while the board is in the air. Getting old sucks.

The photograph is by Brian Gaberman.

Skateboarder - August 2007 Volume 16 Number 12

6 comments:

Sean said...

Hometown hero.

Sean said...

lol. I just looked at your older Rusczyk posts and I basically said the same thing on the first one in 2011 and the second one. Some things never change.

Henry said...

I like this guy. I've watched his video parts and thought, "Damn, this guy is sick". But it seems like he never really had much success or recognition.

Rikku Markka said...

I think he retired after a short run as a pro. Back when he was pro, if I recall, you either needed to be a super-tech ledge lord or a Baker clone rail chomper to stand out. I thought he stood out from the majority of the Foundation team style-wise. If he were a pro these days, he'd probably make a go of it.

Justin said...

I think Foundation even did a retirement board for him. He definitely stood out because we're still talking about him. I think he did his thing, turned pro, and moved on. Realistically most guys aren't going to have a long pro career.

Sean said...

I think he was supposed to turn pro after Art Bars but then got injured and it kinda threw off his whole trajectory. Then Leo Romero and a bunch of younger guys joined Foundation and he got put on the backburner.