Monday, December 3, 2018

Natas Kaupas #7.



Pickpocket Man.

Natas was a major innovator in the realm of street skateboarding in the 1980s. He helped take the ollie to new heights and laid the groundwork for what people are doing today. He also did a lot of airwalks. Later on in his pro career, Natas was busting out on ramps, as is illustrated by his part in Santa Cruz's A Reason for Living video from 1990. He would go on to start 101 with Steve Rocco. After 101 came to an end in the mid 90s, he rode for Element and started Vita Footwear. Over the years the brave captain moved behind the scenes to focus more on the art and design aspects of skateboarding, although on board photos still surface from time to time.

I always liked SMA because they had a smaller team of guys who all were friends. That was something you could relate to because it was similar to your crew of friends, except the Santa Monica Airlines team skated way better than you and your buddies did. The ad designs and board graphics were great, too.

I put this month together a little differently then previous Decembers. I picked out two weeks of random stuff as always and decided to do a week each on SMA and Blockhead in the more traditional one company at a time format I use for the site. Things are starting to get a little low for content from back in the day.

I skipped out on watching the Bills get squished by the Fish yesterday afternoon to skateboard on a mild and sunny day. Those have been a rare commodity of late around here.

Thrasher - 1989 Volume 9 Number 2

2 comments:

Nonickname said...

I'm going to my first Bills game ever this coming Sunday...so I'm sure a "lake effect" storm will hammer down that day.

Justin said...

Have fun. I think it's only going to be clear and very cold for Sunday. They're still trying to figure out the snow forecast for the week. It might be dicey on Wednesday and Thursday. I hope it is good for Saturday since I've got to take a trip to the mall.

I was browsing long range forecasts for December last week. Talk about an inexact science. The supposed classic Farmer's Almanac makes such a broad generalization for such a large area that they can't be wrong, they just might be terribly wrong for your particular town. Anyway, a couple models suggested that if we can get through the first two weeks of the month that it will be warmer and mild the second half of December. All I really want for Christmas is a green Christmas.