Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Omar Hassan #7.



"Once when I was surfing, I came out of the water and saw Gonz riding down the street. I'd heard of this Mark Gonzales guy who just started riding for Vision. He was like the hot guy. One day, I'd just finished surfing and was kicking back on the beach, and I saw this fight break out. I walked over and saw the Gonz sitting there. I was the kind of kid who would go right up to you. I said, 'Hey, if you skateboard, then do something.' He was telling me who he was and I got all stoked, and then I started skating with him. I was sitting there watching, and I tripped out because he was so rad on the street then. I'd never seen any of the stuff he was doing."

Omar recalls a tale of bugging the Gonz when he was younger. It's kind of hard to warp your head around how different it would have been growing up in California where the skateboard biz is versus the rest of the country back in the 1980s. It seemed like this whole different universe, which it probably was.

Note: This ad ran as a negative in Thrasher. After I got it scanned in and tidied up, I hit invert in Photoshop to see what would happen. I think it turned out a lot better. I wonder if there might have been a production error since Blockhead didn't do any other advertisements in a similar style.

The photo is by Sean Sullivan.

For the quote: Transworld - November 1991 Volume 9 Number 11

Thrasher - November 1988 Volume 8 Number 11

No comments: