Monday, May 4, 2020

Matt Reason.




Big wheels.

I was going to Allegheny College in Meadville, Pennsylvania from 1992 to 1996. Around about this time was when the Philadelphia crew started to get coverage in the mags and videos. It was cool to see skateboarders from the state I was living in get some press, even if they were on the opposite side of PA. It made the world seem a little smaller. I liked their approach to skateboarding with cruising around on larger boards and wheels instead of tiny wheels and trying some flip trick repeatedly. I started riding bigger wheels and focusing on the rolling part more. I also ditched a few of the weird flip tricks I was messing around with that never looked great anyway. The idea to get the fundamental tricks down so you can do them anywhere while going fast is an important concept to master.

Matt rode for Acme, Silverstar, Illuminati, Adrenalin, and Supernaut over the years. He worked in landscaping after skateboarding. Sadly, Matt passed away in 2014.

I feel I did not do a good job putting this month's content together. I forgot too many things. We shall see how it goes.

The Physics photo is by Ryan Gee.

Physics: Transworld - June 1997 Volume 15 Number 6

Adrenalin: Thrasher - September 1995 Volume 15 Number 9

1 comment:

Nonickname said...

Similar timeline - started university in Windsor in 93. Was unpleasantly surprised at how rough some of the spots the Detroit locals skated as Id be rolling on bearing covers flatspotted to hell from noseslides...oh and more noseslides.