Monday, August 31, 2026

Josh Kalis #16.


Three Stripes.

The early days of Adidas sponsoring skaters recently came up on the Mostly Skateboarding podcast. I'm inclined to believe Josh was on Adidas for a hot minute by virtue of being in an ad for them. He was wearing shell toes on the cover of the November 1995 issue of Transworld, too. Julien Stranger is also wearing these shoes in an Anti-Hero ad from February of 1996 so Adidas must've been making some effort to get into skateboarding. Did Josh ever discuss the sponsorship? I don't recall him doing so, but he does give a lot of interviews so I could've easily missed it. I wonder if this was maybe a one-off advertising project? It's an interesting little detour before Josh would find his home at DC Shoes. It would take more than a few years before Adidas finally staked out their space in the skateboard footwear marketplace.

Transworld - June 1996 Volume 14 Number 6

1 comment:

Justin said...

There was also an Adidas shoe called the Norton. They had Paulo Diaz in the ad. I tried to track it down and couldn't find anything after a little bit of searching. I'm thinking it was 1995 based on a couple of things, but haven't confirmed that. The internet is utterly useless on this one.