Friday, August 8, 2008

Gabriel Rodriguez.



I used to always get Gabriel Rodriguez and Rudy Johnson mixed up back in the day until I learned to remember which company each rode for. I almost did it again after I scanned this and went to save it as rudyjohnson01.jpg when I realized it wasn't Johnson. Whoops.

Anyway, I would believe this is Rodriguez's first model for 101 since it is from 1991. I did a quick online search to confirm this and/or see if the ad had been posted elsewhere and nothing turned up, although I'm sure it has been scanned to some other website. One thing I did learn was that this board was issued in tandem with the utterly evil Natas Satan graphic. I had never thought about that before. I was in high school in 1991 and I liked this ad because of Rodriguez's declaration that he wasn't going to get a job at El Pollo Loco because they would make him tuck his shirt in, even if I had no clue what El Pollo Loco was. For those still wondering, it's a restaurant chain that specializes in flame grilled Mexican chicken. They have no stores in New York, but to a then 17 year old in a small town they might as well have been on another planet.

I'm not feeling the religious graphics, but I think the candid snap shot is a good photo. Can't argue with the gap to lipslide either.

Transworld - June 1991 Volume 9 Number 6

No comments: