Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dart Wheels.



This ad is seriously one of the reasons I started doing Vert Is Dead. Dart Wheels has always been a mystery to me and I've got no idea why the image has stuck with me after 22 years. I've always wondered what the deal was with this company. Was it even a real company? Was it somebody's failed attempt at a wheel brand from an established company? Did Thrasher have a blank half page to fill at the last minute so they made up something stupid? Did Dart make wheels? Did anybody ride them? Did they advertise any place else since there never were any other ads from them, at least in Thrasher? Why no phone number or contact information? So many questions.

Thrasher - December 1990 Volume 10 Number 12

4 comments:

Bevilacqua said...

So many wheels, so little time.

stephen said...

i don't even remember them.. must've glossed over those ads.

Justin said...

It's all about the wheel. I'm stuck on that theme and keep scanning ads for the round things.

I don't think anybody else except me remembers this one.

Shrewgy said...

You hit the target, "Was it somebody's failed attempt at a wheel brand from an established company? Did Thrasher have a blank half page to fill at the last minute so they made up something stupid? "
When you are totally vertically integrated, including a media outlet, why not take a shot in the dark every once in awhile?
Spitfire, Deluxe, Thrasher, boredom, fun.