Friday, July 26, 2013

Todd Congelliere #3.



"So, when Mike Smith asked me to skate for Liberty, I said sure. He, at least, had seen me skate, unlike Powell, and I looked up to him, not just as a great skater, but by the way his business was run. Yes, it was always run on a shoddy level, even at its peak, and as far as income and all that jazz goes, well, I did get some pretty crazy offers as far as money's concerned, but the fact that I liked going to contests with Mike and didn't want to go with a bunch of buffoons helped me resist. Plus, I never had any pressure from him as far as the contests went, simply because he's still a skater, running a skateboard company, not a skateboard coach." - Todd Congelliere.

The bigspin.

Programming update: There will be a rare Saturday post tomorrow. I will then be taking a short break so Vert Is Dead will be back on Monday, August 5th. Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments or email me if you have any requests. I'm not sure what I'm going with next. I've been mucking about in the very comfortable early 1990s a little too long and want to switch it up. I'm thinking maybe late 1990s or early 2000s, but I don't have anything planned. Some early Krooked might be one option.

For the quote: Thrasher - September 1995 Volume 15 Number 9

Transworld - October 1990 Volume 8 Number 10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best time ever for skateboarding was from 1989 to 1991. You still had all this creativity going on but people were still going fast.

ouou said...

and what about mid 90? 1993 to 1997 was a great period
mainstream skateboard was dead and for us it was the best