Thursday, October 3, 2019

Jacob Rupp #3.



"Kids carrying around cameras trying to get the latest trick on video is boring. Some filmers are truly amazing and really put their heart into it, like Dan Wolfe and the Eastern Exposure stuff. I like photos better, but videos help spread the word to the masses and can help out a good skateboarder."

Jake gripes about the drawbacks of present day life some twenty years ago.

It looks like Transworld is chipping away at the process of putting all the issues of 411 Video Magazine on the internet in complete form.

There's been rain the last two days and it shows no sign of letting up today either. I feel I needed a break from skateboarding, but I'm good to start rolling again. I've got to get these new shoes broken in. I also have to maybe replace a bushing on my front truck. I think it's disintegrating.

For the quote: Slap - January 2000 Volume 9 Number 1

Thrasher - February 1999 Volume 19 Number 2

4 comments:

Rikku Markka said...

The Skateboard Mag was trying to do the same, right before they went under. What are they gonna do about music licensing? Back in the day, skateboarding was so small that it wasn't a problem. I do know that at some point they were paying for the music, and that's just from watching through the end credits and seeing thank yous to labels of the bands used. But, now? It'd really suck to see parts that in my mind are paired with a certain song, and have to hear something else.

Justin said...

You're right. I never even thought about that.

Back then an indie label could count on skaters buying CDs or tapes of bands in the videos, which would probably amount to more publicity/sales than taking a royalty that 411 might not have had the money to pay at the beginning.

Think of how many skater's had their own music in 411, too.

Wasn't it Skateboarder trying to make an archive of 411s?

Rikku Markka said...

It was Skateboarder, not the Skateboard Mag trying to make an archive. Some video parts on YouTube have no music (or sound) because of claims filed by the music label. I think the reason that Baker 2G, as popular as it was, never got released on DVD because of music rights.

Justin said...

I thought they teased the 411 archive right before they threw in the towel.

I mostly watched 411 at a skateshop so I never followed it as closely as other videos. I wish I had.