Friday, November 20, 2020

Don "Nuge" Nguyen #4.



"Our band is the LSDemons and our first show was a gnarly Skate Rock tour in Australia. The first show four people knocked themselves out in the mosh pit. Jake Phelps was like, 'You've got more stretchers than fans.' Dustin Dollin killed it as a singer. Well, except for one show where he pulled an Axl Rose on us."

Oklahoma's finest big gap jumper and hill bomber recounts his band's tour experience in the land down under. The Nuge rips.

Circa Combat was a spinoff of Circa Footwear during the 2010s. The team consisted of Abdias Rivera, Peter Ramondetta, Frank Gerwer, and Sheldon Meleshinski. The brand was only around for a few years and the riders split for other companies at some point. I think they used regular Circa shoe models with different color schemes. I probably should do additional research on the topic, but that's what I recall. Can't be very far off.

Random Odds & Ends

I guess we're in the home stretch for Thrasher's SOTY award. I'm personally leaning towards Mason Silva, but I could see Franky Villani winning it. Somebody different should end up with the award this year.

I liked the newish video parts from Raney Beres and Ethan Loy.

The weather has been unseasonably mild so I've been able to get in plenty of skateboarding after work and before it gets dark. The mild weather kind of crapped out to start the week, although it is back for now. My Mike Carroll reissues are on their last legs, but holding up with duct tape. They wore out a little faster than I expected. Otherwise Lakai made a good shoe and I already have a second pair waiting to go.

I've been browsing through the early issues of The Skateboard Mag for content lately and plan to include more from them in the future. It's a shame that magazine came to an end.

Sound Zone: The Dead C have a new album called Unknowns that features more of their harsh and scraping guitar skuzz stylings. The long standing weirdo noise merchants at Skin Graft have reissued a pair of AIDS Wolf LPs that only saw a limited release first time around. I already had the records, but it is nice to have Ma vie banale avant-garde and Very Friendly on CD as well. The new tape from Ordet reminds me of early U.S. Girls, but darker and spookier.

Vert Is Dead will be back on Monday, November 30th.

It will be more stuff from 2010 as the countdown to 3,000 continues. Hope everybody has a happy and safe holiday week.

For the quote: The Skateboard Mag - August 2011 Issue 89

Thrasher - April 2010 Volume 30 Number 4

No comments: