Monday, November 2, 2020

Frank Gerwer #6.



This was the cover to the Deluxe Fall 2003 catalog. The original cover concept called for smashing up a car, but that didn't turn out so hot and a second option was needed. Frank is tossing his board and shoes in the air so Gabe Morford would have a test point to focus his camera on for Darrell Stanton's nollie down the stairs. This ends up being a much better idea and photo in the end.

I think that is Nate Jones and Damian Bravo also standing on the top of the stairs. I'm not sure who the long haired kid is.

I couldn't find Darrell's nollie photo, but the trick was in his part in Transworld's Free Your Mind video. I imagine I'll find it sooner or later. It might have run as Vans or Volcom ad in Skateboarder or someplace I didn't think to check. There was a small thumbnail of it in this catalog so I know it exists.

I was going to do more catalog stuff, but I got confused with how to organize it and gave up. I'll revisit the idea in the future.

The photo is by Gabe Morford.

Deluxe Fall 2003 Catalog

No comments: