Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Salman Agah #8.



Large pizza with all the toppings.

Vans hosted a demo recently with a huge orange vert wall and gigantic pyramid. They had some bands playing a stage built like a window into the vert wall, too. The setup looked strangely unimpressive and minimal. It didn't really look fun to skate at all, even if you were really good at riding a skateboard. I imagine the end result of edited photos and video will look cool. It's marketing, I guess.

Check out how bulky and padded those Vans were back in 1998.

Lance Mountain was the photographer.

Slap - December 1998 Volume 7 Number 12

5 comments:

Nonickname said...

That sole is way over engineered for a skate shoe. But at that time even Vans had to be "gnar-tech!" I guess.

Anonymous said...

The first Agah shoe was the best.

Anonymous said...

That shoe looks like something Circa would have made. I'm interested to see the Vans pro models from around this time, because Vans was lost, and just chasing what everyone else was doing. I know Willy Santos and carried had models, but who else?

--Rikku Markka

Anonymous said...

Cardiel, not carried.

--Rikku Markka

Justin said...

There was that ad with Cards, Willy, AP, and Salman where there were photocopies of their faces. I think that had all the shoes, too.

I’ve posted Willy’s shoe from 2001 and maybe one or two of Cardiels. Alan Petersen had a shoe, too. I can browse around to see what all there was. Vans was going for the technical style that was popular at the time, but their designers never got it right. I know friends wore them and I don’t think the shoes were terrible. The assorted Cab models were ridiculous.

If the soles weren't divided into a bunch of little sections, these would probably be OK. The skater icon is cheesy.

This gives me something to look up for content.