Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Remy Stratton #4.



"Teenage pregnancy, mothers on crack, gang violence, corrupt politicians and lawsuits all killed vert."

Classic Remy with the seatbelt tailgrab to satisfy the people out there that want some vintage Acme. I really liked Acme when they first started. Although now when I look back at the ads, I don't fully see what I saw in the company. I'm not finding much stuff that is worthy of scanning. I am a fan of Ron Cameron's art and that probably had a lot to do with it.

This was from a Thrasher article looking at the demise of vert skateboarding that covered all the bases: small wheels, insurance, Steve Rocco, the lack of skateparks, etc. The issue also had John Cardiel, Barker Barrett, Jesse Neuhaus and Brian Ferdinand interviews, along with Ice - T and Remy on the cover. It was probably the best issue of Thrasher from 1992. I'm going to try and get some Brian Ferdinand on here sooner or later.

Bryce Kanights took the picture.

Thrasher - July 1992 Volume 12 Number 7

7 comments:

Unknown said...

dude is good.

-kw said...

... and 48s

Keith said...

Is it really called a seatbelt tail grab? I've never heard that before and now that I think about it, I'm not even sure I've ever seen it before. It's like a crail grab but backwards, or reverse, or switch?

I never owned anything acme in my life. Was never down to line the pockets of a company with only team models, which in my eyes is more money for the owner and not to the riders. I do like their current slant on boards made in America/ anti-China wood.

Anonymous said...

It is a frontside ollie tail grab with the leading hand, instead of the back hand on a normal tail grab. The arm goes across the body to reach the tail, hence the seat belt name. As far as I know, Remy was the only person to do them and this might have been the only photo of the trick.

The no pros things was a little weird. The ads were kinda lame, too. Standard trucks? No thank you. Their made in American campaign is nobel because the only way we're going to turn things around is to return manufacturing to the USA, but I'm not going to go there. This is a skateboard website, not a solve the recession website.

Anonymous said...

I remember this issue for sure, because of Ice-T's mean mug.

In regards to Brian Ferdinand, does the issue have the photo of him doing a noseblunt slide while riding the Salman Agah fairy everslick?

-Rikku Markka

Anonymous said...

Acme was the first new school board I ever had. A hand me down slick with a bunch of Darkhorse comics looking super-heroes on it.

Anonymous said...

Ferdinand was doing a noseblunt slide. Cards was tweaking an ollie out of that little spine ramp in a warehouse that Justin Girard skated in 1281 and Mike Carroll had a couple tricks in Questionable.

It's a really good batch of interviews. My only complaint is that there is a lot of text on some of the pictures. I'll probably scan it all in someday.

I gave up on Acme when they went all comic book steez. Sorry.