Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Javier Nunez.



I watched R.B. Umali's NY Revisited 1996-97 the other night to make sure Javier did do the perfect switch kickflip over the wall at the Brooklyn Banks as the ender. He did.

NY Revisited is a good video since it has a ton of different skaters on the streets of NYC. I'm sure most of the footage has been in other videos. There's some cool stuff with the Cardona brothers and Keith Hufnagel. Keenan Milton has a few tricks and there's one trick from Gino. Peter Bici is underrated. Andy Bautista isn't afraid of blasting some big street grabs, which seems oddly out of place for the vid, but at the same time provides a nice variety.

I always get requests for Menace. I liked the company, had a board or two and never really thought much about them after the name changed a couple of times. Menace always seemed like another World Industries subdivision to me. Here today, gone tomorrow. That apparently is not the case as I was surprised at all the fans who were super into the company when I started doing Vert Is Dead back in 2008. It's fascinating what parts of skateboarding history stick with you compared to what registers with other people.

Thrasher - August 1997 Volume 17 Number 8

No comments: