Friday, July 17, 2020

The Price of Style.





As I was picking out stuff to scan, I saw an ad for Street Machine with the cost of all the different shoes. I thought it was interesting to see exactly what we were paying for footwear back in 1995. I soon decided to add in two other mail order companies for the sake of comparison. You've got most of the staples of the time - Airwalk, DC, Duffs, éS, Etnies, Evol, Simple, and Vans, along with non-skate brands like Adidas and Puma. I could go for another pair of Duffs. I had both the Strombolies and the Cobbnoblers. I think the Strombolies were the slightly better model. I miss how much simpler things were back then.

It rained yesterday. The last day I didn't skateboard was May 15th. It rained that day, too.

Sartorius: Transworld - July 1995 Volume 13 Number 7

Intensity: Transworld - August 1995 Volume 13 Number 8

Street Machine: Transworld - February 1996 Volume 14 Number 2

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a pair of the Skols. Imagine mailing a check to order a pair of shoes now...

Nonickname said...

MC Raps or half cabs were my choice back then - always wanted to check out Evols or the airwalk 86s but never saw them here in Canada. Love that Doc Martins were also available for your motoscooter adventures.

smorales said...

With inflation in today's dollars those Es Accels would cost $99. Yet I can buy a pair of Accels today from CCS for $73. Something doesn't add up.

Justin said...

Cheap foreign labor? Although Sole Tech uses Vietnam and not China as far as I know.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see no nikes. Skaters traded style for money.