Monday, July 27, 2020

Welcome #2.






Welcome to Welcome.

This is a look back at the early days of Welcome. I was getting a tad bored of posting stuff from the comfort zone of the 1990s, but couldn't figure out what to do next. After recently watching a newer video that wasn't so hot, I decided I had to watch something that made me happy about skateboarding. I browsed the DVD library and picked Welcome's Fetish video from 2017 to feel better. It then occurred to me that I should do a week of the makers of the magical shaped decks. I initially planned on the riders in Fetish until I started digging back through the stacks and came up with this batch of scans. These would be their earliest ads in Thrasher. I found a lot of stuff to use so there will be another week of Welcome in a few weeks.

The company was started by Jason Celaya in 2010. They initially made both popsicle and shaped decks. However, Jason noticed that only the shaped decks were selling and decided to abandon the regular boards. The rest is history.

I went Chrome Ball Incident style with multiple scans for the first post so I didn't have to come up with stuff to say about guys I've never really heard of. Sorry, dudes.

Logan Devlin took the photos of Kody Carnahan and Nolan Johnson. Logan's photo is by Alex Cooper.

Boards: Thrasher - January 2014 Volume 35 Number 1

Kody Carnahan: Thrasher - July 2014 Volume 35 Number 7

Logan Devlin: Thrasher - October 2014 Volume 35 Number 10

Nolan Johnson: Thrasher - November 2014 Volume 35 Number 11

No comments: