Thursday, May 20, 2010

Eddie Mathesen.



Barry "Twist" McGee did a lot of the early art for Mad Circle.

I find it interesting that back when I was in college my art professors didn't really know about all the skateboard artists beyond me telling them how awesome they were. Now one of the art history professors at the college teaches a class on the urban/suburban/street/graffiti/whatever you want to call artists. This is cool, but at the same time, key figures like Ed Templeton, Andy Jenkins, Neil Blender and maybe Mark Gonzales are being left out. That's like talking about the history of the NBA and not mentioning Jerry West. I'm just complaining without any real point. I make my students look at Abstract Expressionism, Dada, Surrealism and Pop. You know, the old arty farty crap.

I know nothing about Eddie. Sucks that your only coverage ever might have been a lousy video grab sequence.

Vert Is Dead turns two tomorrow.

Transworld - August 1993 Volume 11 Number 8

No comments: