Monday, May 10, 2010

Jason Adams & Tim Brauch.



“This wasn’t especially inspired by any existing superhero, it just came from me and Tim Brauch drinking together. We came up with the idea together, we were just always together. Lived together, skated every day, same sponsor, traveled, all that shit! It was the best time, salad days I tell ya…

Waking up every morning to take the longboards to 7-11 for coffee and doughnuts, planning skateboard action for the day and, well, getting drunk every night and trying to beat Tim in a wrestling match was always a hoot. He always beat my ass with ease, but every night I kept coming back for more. [If we had actual super powers], mine would be to turn water into beer. And Tim’s would have been to turn beer into weed!” - Jason Adams.

This week is going to be about Tim Brauch and Jason Adams, two pros from San Jose who were friends. Probably just about everybody reading this knows that Tim died eleven years ago from a heart condition. They both rode for SMA in 1993. Tim would switch to Santa Cruz when SMA was ended. Jason would bounce around between Creature, Scarecrow, Sonic, Enjoi and Black Label.

Big thanks to Seb at Memory Screened and Skateboarder for doing the Jason Adams interview that I lifted the quote from.

Thrasher - November 1993 Volume 13 Number 11

4 comments:

Old School Sammy said...

My Super Power would be to turn my shot knees and hip into new ones so I could go back hitting it as hard as I used to (and not just on my board---wink wink)---oh well...

Great post though, as someone who was working fulltime in the Comic Book industry when that ad came out, I always had a fondness for it, always wondered who did the artwork...

justin said...

Memory Screened has the artist listed as Nate Carrico.

Old School Sammy said...

Thanks Justin...

Rob

doneyrocks said...

hey old school Sammy- I hear ya man. ya know what makes me mad???? I've been skating for 20 years now. Started when I was 13 in/around 1990...you do the math. I've only ever skated street and mini ramps. the "highest" mini being an 8 ft. ramp. I'm kinda pissed...I've never dropped in on a vert ramp. When I was like 14 a guy who was like 25 at the time had a 12 ft. in my town, but he wouldn't let any of us little kids skate it. He directed us to the inside of his garage which had a 3 and a half foot mini with a corner bowl. It was hella fun. But I still have never, ever dropped in on a vert. Is it too late. Cuz I'm sure at my age now it would be very painful the next day. I know I could do the drop, but would probably freak when I got up the other side.....skate on my friends.