Monday, January 26, 2009

Brian Wenning.



The first Alien Workshop ad for Brian Wenning and Anthony Pappalardo. One thing that I liked about the Workshop was that they found their own obscure East Coast riders rather than just looking for guys in California. I know that has changed in recent years, but I'm not going to point any fingers of blame at them. Of the two, I think Brian had the slightly better part in Photosynthesis. He did obscenely long nose grinds on the ledges at Love and some big switch 360 flips. He also did one of my favorite tricks ever based solely on how it was filmed: a backside 180 to fakie 5 - 0 to half cab out on the ledge of the fountain at Love. It was a wider shot and the camera was rolling along with him. It just looked very graceful with all the rotation involved in the trick and how the sun was lighting everything up.

Note: This was a two pager and I'll post the other half tomorrow.

Ryan Gee handled the photos.

Transworld - February 2000 Volume 18 Number 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be mistaken, but I think the Wenning trick you are referring to, he actually did switch.

Before watching the epicly later'd episodes, I wasn't too hyped on them. But, afterwards, I was. That was some real shit; just raw. Especially when Wenning says he hadn't seen Pappalardo in five years and doesn't know if he'd even be friends with the Pappalardo of today.


-Rikku Markka

Anonymous said...

You might be right. Because it was filmed going left to right, he would have been riding goofy to get on the ledge that way. Shit. That makes it even crazier.

I wasn't a huge fan of either of them per se, but I really liked the whole package of Photosynthesis. The Epicly Later'd episode changed my opinion of Pappalardo's part in Fully Flared. His explanation of what he was going for made it make a lot more sense.