Monday, December 1, 2008

Kris Markovich #1.



Markovich was one of my favorite pros during the 1990s. You always got an insane video part from him. He skated bigger and faster than just about everybody else. This is probably why companies were willing to put up with his team hopping ways. He bounced around a lot. G & S, 101, Color, Prime, Element, Foundation, Hollywood, Blind, Crimson and Given all put out boards with his name on them. Markovich also rode for Dogtown, but I'm not positive he ever had a pro board for them. I stayed a fan up until Hollywood. That company seemed like a bad idea that never should have happened and then he switched to Blind. I'm kind of liking his current art and the graphics for Given. Maybe he's got one last banging video part in him.

For shoes, Markovich rode for Airwalk, Vans, Duffs and Adio. I'm not even going to try for wheel sponsors, but the list would include A1 Meats, Union, Spitfire and Pig. He seems to ride Ventures a lot. There were some Indys and Orions in the mix, too.

Note: Vert Is Dead is the Site Of The Week on Skate Daily this week. Hot damn.

Transworld - May 1991 Volume 9 Number 5

7 comments:

djtonto101 said...

dont forget he started 88 footwear with ed dominick, got pissed and left the shoe company he helped start ala Hollywood. thats when I lost all hope. remember that quote from Thrashers t-eddys awards they do every year- the older I get the better I was, Phelps is rough!

Ricki Bedenbaugh said...

He actually did have a pro model on Dogtown. A good buddy of mine did the art for it. It was a Penguin with a Uzi in one hand and I want to say a Rocket Popsicle in the other, with a gold chain, it was around 1990.
Say what you will about the guy, but he has the biggest heart for his friends. If it weren't for him and his family I wouldn't be where I am today.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I forgot about 88.

That clears up the Dogtown issue. I wasn't 100% sure on that.

Royce said...

From an outsiders perspective it does seem like allot of team hopping, but in Kris's case many of them were failed project due to shady fund backers.

101
Color
Prime
Hollywood
Crimson
88

Are all examples of which. Phelps is the industry's novelty/retarded brother and nothing more.

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, the Hollywood video was pretty good. It's in a box in my closet, somebody send me a working VCR and I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Team hopping not team hoping.

Justin said...

Fixed. I hate it when I make typos. Of course spell check didn't catch it since the word was spelled right to begin with. Too bad it was the wrong word.